Thursday, September 23, 2010

Breakfast

Hi there!
I thought I would just contribute my 2 favorite healthy breakfast options. Both I love because I can make them on the weekend and then just heat them up each morning. Both are low cal, high fiber, and good protein.

1. Steel Cut Oats - Available everywhere! These are just oatmeal but not pressed like your normal Old Fashioned Oats. Barely any nutrtional difference, but they have a chewier texture and are not clumpy when you reheat.

1 cup oats to 3 cups water - pinch of salt optional
Bring to boil - Simmer for 20 -30 minutes depending on how you like the texture (I cook mine 20)
Divide into containers (remember you should reheat in in a non-plastic container)
I add 2% milk, ground flax seed, nutrtional yeast (also known as brewer's yeast), and brown sugar. Adding things like Almonds to eaither of these dishes adds texture and even more nutritional benefits.
Note: the serving size is less than old fashioned oats

2. Amaranth - Available at Whole Foods in bulk. Where I live I have to order it from a local organic farm market, but it's definitely out there. I know you can order it online as well. This is a very small grain, nutty/earthy flavor. People either like it or they don't so start off with a small quantity.
1/2 cup amaranth to 1 cup water
Bring to boil - Simmer for 20 minutes
Divide into containers
I add organic 1/2 and 1/2 and organic maple syrup to taste

Background: I went to HS with Emily. I am currently finishing up a degree in Nutrition from OSU and a SAHM. We eat a highly vegetarian diet but like to incorporate fish and grass-fed and organic meats. I am a canner as well if anyone is interested in those types of recipes. I am HUGE on non-processed foods which is very exciting with a blog like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment