Friday, November 26, 2010

In Defense of Artichokes

OK.  So I feel like I was a bit hard on artichokes in my last post.  Especially after Melita's comments in defense of them.  I can see how they'd be a fun food and I even thought that as I was eating it.  I just CANNOT do the mayo.  But if I could find another dip, I might be more likely to cook them.  I feel like I should offer some of the good things about artichokes that I left out last night in my haste to hit the hay:

Artichokes are very good for you and low in calories.  According to internet sources that 25 Calorie artichoke provides 6% of the Recommended Daily Value of phosphorus, 10% of magnesium, 8% of manganese, 10% of chromium, 5% of potassium, 4% of iron and 2% of calcium and iron. In addition to all these important minerals, artichokes are a good source of fiber (12% of the RDV), vitamin C (10% of the RDV), and folate (10% of the RDV). 


So, I hope my gross post didn't discourage you too much from eating these- they actually could be a very fun group appetizer. 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment