Thursday, August 19, 2010

Spicy Stuffed Cabbage

Oh, I'm REALLY digging the blog- you did a wonderful job, Emily.  My name is Kelly and I'm excited to get started....  Anyone mind if I kick this thing off?  No?  OK.

As Emily mentioned, there is a group of us in Dayton that took the plunge and bought a cow.  I'll admit, I was slightly hesitant.. not completely on board... But, I'm already three meals in now and I'm sure it was a good decision.  Tonight I made spicy stuffed cabbage.  I'd show pictures but I wasn't aware that this blog existed until too late.  Its not pretty anyway, but it tastes good. 

Spicy Stuffed Cabbage  
1 green cabbage
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb hot italian sausage
some chopped onion
some chopped green pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 c. cooked rice
salt
pepper
1(6oz) can tomato paste
1 (10 oz) can tomato paste

Brown Italian sausage** and combine with ground beef.  Remove 10 outer leaves of cabbage and cook in boiling water 5 to 8 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  Combine next 8 ingredients.  Place equal portions of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf.  Fold opposite ends over and place rolls, seam side down in lightly greased 13"x9"x2" baking dish.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 

**Now, I'm not sure about this step....  I think you could get away without cooking it first but I'm afraid to tell you that and then have someone get sick from uncooked pork... but really how could it not be cooked after and hour of cooking? 

Its a little more time consuming than I like but its pretty good if you like spicy things.  To make it healthier take out the sausage and replace with lean ground beef. 

If you try it, let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment